A place to store and share the things I make.

Monday, November 21, 2011

November Rush

Thanksgiving Holiday.

I'm sitting on my parents' couch watching August Rush with my sister-in-law.  We've had a busy day: chasing my nephew, crafting, cooking, listening to hunting stories that didn't go as planned.  It's a holiday.  We played in Billings with my grandparents for a night and I've been enjoying the snow back here in Colstrip, watching deer bounding across the backyard.  We even checked out the local co-op (read: my 3rd grade classroom turned into a store selling socks and jeans, as well as Robeez for Taylen).    It was a good day with my mama and Belinda, ending with Kermit the Frog soup and chocolate chip cookies (half and half GF and regular), as well as a little Kirkland red wine and now some wind down time with a tired mama.  It is a holiday indeed.

cutest little cowlick ever

also quite possibly the cutest kid ever


crafting with his mama and my sister-in-law (yes, that's snot and tears on her shoulders.  She's a trooper.)

Copying Terri's Xmas trees from old sweaters

My GF cookies: I just replaced the flour in the Tollhouse recipe with
1/2 C chickpea, 1/2 C coconut flours and a little cornstarch. 
Kermit the Frog Soup (Mom's recipe)

Boil 2 C stock, add 3 stems of broccoli and one onion, chopped into small chunks.  Cover and boil 10 minutes.  Chop in food processor or with immersion blender.  In another pan, melt 2 Tb butter with 2 Tb flour (I cheated today, but you could probably replace with Arrowroot or cornstarch, or else just brown rice flour), and "cook til smooth 'n bubbly", stir in 2 1/2 C stock to boiling, boil 6 minutes.  Add 1 T boullion (we didn't today since we used stock, but it may add more flavor), some salt & pepper, a dash of nutmeg, and 3/4 cup whipping cream to the broccoli/onion mixture, then add the roux to thicken it.  Serve with crackers or just by itself.  Ty claims that mom had to name it Kermit the Frog because no kid would ever willingly eat soup with broccoli in the title.  I think he's right.

I think I'll be back with more this week.  But for now I'm watching a movie.  Happy holidays!


1 comment: