I'm a big fan of modifying recipes. This habit does not always work for the best results. I remember my first modification--mom and I were trying to make "blonde" lasagna (this was way back in high school), and didn't have all the ingredients so we made some adjustments. That was a mistake. I don't remember the details, but it was not pretty. I remember saying to myself, "from this day forward, I will never try to modify a recipe the first time I make it." Needless to say, that is not a rule that I've kept.
Megan was bragging about these cookies last week, and I've been jonesing to try them. I was practicing self-control and stay-in-the-budget strategies at Fred Meyer the other day, and I ended up not buying the coconut oil and coconut flour; so of course, I didn't have all the ingredients. I actually have been having some success lately at my own modifications, particularly in making things free of gluten (like these!), so I went forth with confidence. I used almond flour instead of coconut, and we didn't have enough eggs so I did the flax seed equivalent (1 T flax seed, ground and mixed with 4 T water). Those were the only changes I made...but it didn't turn out well. Kind of a like a pan of crepes that are crispy on the outside and raw in the middle, they look nothing like the gorgeous ones that came out of Megan's oven. I'll try again soon, and follow the recipe. I guess some directions really should be followed closely. But I'm certain I'll test that theory again as well.