A place to store and share the things I make.

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Sunday Catch

What a month. I don't even know what all has happened in the past few weeks, but it hasn't been the most fun. Actually some of it has just plain sucked. And I've been grumpy. So I haven't posted because I'm pretty transparent--you'd know I was in a bad mood even if I didn't say it. So, here I am. On the upswing (again). I know there's always an upswing--and there will probably be another downhill, but it always gets better again. I started running again today--that always helps. I've been out due to a bum ankle and thus have not had my primary coping mechanism, which of course has contributed to the sucky mood. So. I'm taking care of myself. And my spouse has been great--isn't it funny (and a blessing) that when I'm down he's solid; I guess it's designed to be like that huh?

We've been playing a lot of catch lately. He found our mitts downstairs somewhere (mine definitely smells like mildew; also I've had it since the fourth grade and it still looks almost new!) so we've taken over the street and the park to play. And besides my continued fear of it hitting me in the face, it's been pretty fun. We had a good Sunday date last week. Here's how it went:

We started at our local video shop. CJ doesn't always have the best recommendations, but it's nice to know your video guy by name (and to have a video guy, period). We got When Harry Met Sally.


 We biked. This is my new bike! She's pretty. I kind of hoped that a new bike would instantly make biking more fun and easy and make me love it...it wasn't so magic. I do love my bike, and it's a lot quieter than my mountain beast (thanks mom! I've been riding your bike since I left the house!) and prettier, but it still takes work. Sigh.


 We found an actual ball park to play in. Only problem is that the ball rolls a lot more on the dirt than on grass...


 My handsome spouse.



 I was certainly dressed for the sport. Yes, it was cool enough to wear boots even though it was late June.


 Back home to make dinner--starting with some Montana beer.


Mexican Sweet Corn (adapted from Runner's World) and Black Bean chipotle tacos.

Grill corn on the grill (or roast in the oven).
Combine in bowl:
2 T butter (soft or melted)
2 T olive oil
2 tsp chili powder
grated zest and juice of 1 lime
salt and pepper as you like

Rub the buttery yumminess on the grilled corn, then roll in a crumble of cotija cheese and tortilla chips (crumbled in the food processor--we didn't have cilantro but they recommend it and I would too!)

The tacos were just Gardenburger's Black Bean Chipotle burgers crumbled up and sauteed with onion (from our garden, yo!), shallot, and garlic, then topped with avocado and a healthy dose of sour cream.

A delicious and easy sunny front porch dinner. Sun and easy dinner make me happy. Hoping for more of both to come. I am on the upswing, you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment