A place to store and share the things I make.

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Bourbon Birthday Cake

I saw this on Pinterest a couple weeks ago and could not wait til G's birthday came around so I could try it out. It. was. amazing. Might be a new tradition. For EVERY holiday. Funny that it's from a mama blog, but it fits our family just fine. I made him a Chocolate Stout cake a couple years ago; I don't know if it's more me or him that is drawn to alcohol based goodies...


Whiskey in a Jar (Flourless) Chocolate Cake (from Babble)
Ingredients
1 stick butter
8 oz chocolate pieces (chopped fine) or small chips, semi-sweet
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
4 eggs
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup Tennessee whiskey (I used Buffalo Trace because that's what we had)
 
1. Melt the chocolate and butter in a double boiler
2. Add the butter/chocolate mix to the sugars in a large bowl; mix well, then add the whiskey and mix some more. Add eggs, one at a time, and watch the batter get all goopy. Keep mixing, then add the salt, baking soda, and baking powder and mix it till all the powder is mixed in well.
3. Pour into jars (spray the jars first with nonstick spray). They say to use pint jars but I don't know who could eat a whole pint of this rich cake. I used half-pints (they're cuter anyway). Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes or until they pass the toothpick test. Mine didn't fall til they were out of the oven.

I topped them with a bourbon whipped cream (ie. whipping cream, some brown sugar, and a shot or so of whiskey) and served it with a spoon. I ate two. I just couldn't stop myself. There were congratulations all around, so I consider it a success. If it would have been less tasty maybe there would have been more leftover for breakfast...

No comments:

Post a Comment