A place to store and share the things I make.

Monday, October 17, 2011

Eggplant Parm

I guess sick days = blog days for mandi.  This is my third today.  I give myself a pep talk after every blog I post, saying "I should do this more often" or "I should just blog about one thing" or "I should blog every time I think about it."  But I'm sure I'll continue on with sporadic posts, 3 in one day then none for another 3 weeks.  Again, the artisan in me.  Another recipe:


Sweat beads on the eggplant
Our Misto Mister

Eggplant Parm (I'm sure there are kudos to a multitude of online sources, but tonight this was mostly from my husbands spurts of input while he was writing emails planning an arts event for Imago) (you should really check it out, I'm kind of proud of him, shamelessly so).

Needs:
eggplant (we only had one tonight, I'm sure 2-3 would be more appropriate)
tomato sauce
mozzarella cheese
olive oil
cornmeal or Panko

Slice the eggplant in thin slices.  I peeled it this time, sometimes we don't but the skin tends to be a little tough.  (By the way, eggplant is my favorite vegetable; I think it is sexy.)  Salt it and let it sit for 30 minutes to sweat out some of its' moisture (it really beaded up!  I guess I've never actually done this myself before, but always known about it).  I mopped up some of the moisture with a paper towel, I'm not sure if this is normal or not but I did.  I then spritzed both sides of each slice with my MISTO olive oil mister (thanks mom! my new favorite kitchen tool!), and dredged in cornmeal.  Bake the slices for 15-20 minutes on a cookie sheet at 350˚.

When the eggplant is done, layer it in a baking dish: eggplant, tomato sauce, mozzarella; layer till it's all in there, and make sure to end with cheese.  Bake at 475˚ for another 15 minutes then broil so the cheese is browned at the end.  Voila!  Tasty vegetarian lasagna, essentially.  Enjoy!

By the way, on the theme of finishing things, I also finished another book today, Picket Line, written by our oh-so-talented friend Breena (who also did the artwork for the PUB linked above).  Dad started and finished it over one pot of coffee while he was here.  It's a graphic novel, so it's a quick read.  Buy it!  Read it!  Support independent art!  Check out her webcomic while you're there, and there's a free soundtrack too.  Like I said, shameless.  Dinner time!

No comments:

Post a Comment